Testing Performance Engineer - Golf Ball R&D
Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
The Golf Ball R&D Test Engineer will be part of a team working on cutting edge technology with state-of-the-art tools to produce new and top-performing golf ball evaluation methods. This individual will assess new concepts for feasibility and drive continuous improvement efforts around current tests and methods. The successful candidate will have a passion for developing evaluation methods that reflect the golfers on-course experience that will strengthen the team’s decision making and support the launch of new innovative technologies. He/she will take a role in the technical transfer of new tests from research and development to high volume product commercialization with a focus on increasing the quality of the product delivered to the consumer.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the development and implementation of new testing techniques and analysis methods to advance golf ball design.
- Lead the selection of commercially available and custom equipment to support R&D and production evaluation methods.
- Provide technical knowledge to continuous improvement efforts aimed at increasing production/R&D quality and be able to identify technologies and tools to improve current test methodologies and/or equipment.
- Lead the fundamental understanding research of various golf ball testing applications.
- Stay abreast of latest technologies, advances in pertinent arenas, and evaluate concepts and technologies outside our industry for application to golf ball testing.
- Write reports and present project findings, status, and timelines in project reviews.
- Generate and maintain project plans to ensure alignment with team leadership.
- Provide technical direction to R&D Technicians.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- High-energy, self-motivated engineer with a passion for problem solving and driving continuous improvement.
- Experience having worked through research projects where project success and timing isn’t guaranteed.
- Ability to trouble-shoot problems using solid engineering methodology and able to consistently make data-driven decisions
- Proficiency with test equipment calibration, gage variation and gage repeatability and reproducibility studies.
- Basic knowledge and experience with PLC Programming, machine integration, image analysis, Minitab or equivalent engineering analysis software.
- Proficiency in the following software: CAD (NX Preferred), Matlab, Python, and the Microsoft Office Suite including Project required.
- Exposure and experience with Design of Experiments, Lean Methodology and Six Sigma, preferred.
- Experience using 3rd party vendors to take a test from writing a Request for Quote (RFQ), finalizing Statement of Work (SOW), and successful Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT).
- Experience developing a test from idea to a full implementation.
- Experience working on assignments that are highly complex in nature where considerable knowledge and independent action is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
- Ability to lead technical meetings and report project status.
- Ability to multi-task and use good discernment and prioritization when independently managing one’s time.
- Ability to travel as required to vendors, trade shows, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and clear communication skills.
- Understanding and interest sports equipment, preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS in Engineering. Mechanical or Electrical, preferred
- Minimum 3 years related experience.
Callaway Golf is an Equal Opportunity Employer.