Product Engineer - Component Development
Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
Under supervision and partnership with suppliers, develops golf shafts, new club components and solves technical and logistical issues related to inline products (shafts, grips, ferrules, etc.). The position focus is on shaft development but is not limited to other golf components. Works on projects from design into the production phase to ensure program success. Implements and refines fabrication methods and processes for complex shaft and component designs. Guarantees the supplier component and assembly quality in a high volume manufacturing environment. The position requires a person to work as a leader and team member interfacing with the following groups: Product and Industrial Design, Product Innovation, Product Performance, Program Management and Supply Networks, Testing, as well as Global Suppliers. Typical responsibilities which are within the scope of this position include: design of new shaft structures and grips, review of design for producibility, supplier liaison, analysis of data, process implementation, testing of components, the creation of product specifications and process flow and control documentation, process refinement to achieve Design intent including cosmetic finishing, establish quality criteria, determine supplier capabilities, audit supplier performance, generate qualification and inspection plans, and authorize the production release of the product.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Day to day support
- Responsible for leading technical and integration aspects of product development including all shafts, components and processes therein. Focus is on new steel and graphite shaft and grip development and qualification.
- Act as the technical lead and liaison between Product and Industrial Design, Product Innovation, Program Management and Supply Networks, and Global Suppliers.
- Oversee and track the creation of detailed drawings for new products by interfacing with: Product and Industrial Design and Suppliers.
- Manage shaft and grip development schedules so they are ready for new club introductions
- Work closely with Callaway’s assembly locations to ensure processes are qualified to produce multi-piece shafts
- Set target and limit samples for components and clubs.
- Manage component and club deviations.
- Manage inspection gages and fixtures for components and clubs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Product/Process qualifications and improvements
- Implementation and/or refinement of existing fabrication methods/processes for transition of products into volume production.
- Monitor all tools of a given program to determine if components meet Design intent and specification. Generate tool and process releases to enable new products to go into volume production.
- Test components for durability and coordinate component distribution for player testing and Manufacturing pre-production testing.
- Assess Supplier processes for Process Capability as required to achieve and maintain sustained production.
- Work with the Supplier base to drive corrective action based on feedback from incoming inspection and manufacturing floor.
- Prepare test plans and reports (capability studies, qualification, and validation).
- Characterize key process parameters in Suppliers’ processes and provide control plan.
- Experience with steel and graphite shaft design and manufacturing is required.
- Must have strong understanding of both steel and graphite shaft manufacturing processes. Knowledge of tube bending equipment and complex angles.
- Must have extensive understanding of Carbon Fiber Composites layup and design. Must understand the design relationship between Torque, Weight, Stiffness and Swing Weight.
- Knowledge of Plating, PVD, Paint and various other shaft coatings
- Experience with Decal Application processes
- Knowledge of golf club assembly
- Solid knowledge and experience utilizing engineering fundamentals and testing methods.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to work with suppliers in an independent mode to solve technical problems.
- Ability to lead technical meetings and report project status.
- Rubber and plastic molding process experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of investment casting, forging, welding, metal finishing, coatings, and/or composites.
- Experience with injection and compression molding helpful.
- Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Siemens Team Center Engineering useful.
- Knowledge and demonstrated application of quality methods and tools. This includes but is not limited to 6 Sigma, FMEA, Design of Experiments, Statistical Process Controls, Measure System Analysis.
- Able to work extended hours in critical situations.
- Valid passport required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS in Engineering or equivalent required.
- Minimum 3 years related experience
- Minimum 1 year related experience to shaft design and development
Callaway Golf is an Equal Opportunity Employer.