Sr Golf Ball Product Development Engineer
Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
We are looking for candidates for a Sr. Product Development Engineer opening at our Carlsbad, CA location.
The Sr. Product Development Engineer will be part of the Golf Ball Research and Development Team working to produce new technologies and top performing golf ball designs. In this role, you feel comfortable developing sports products and playing an active role in creating fundamental and mechanistic understanding for Callaway’s next generation of golf balls. You will have the opportunity to work on the full project development cycle: from the research stage, through development, into production and improvements for current products. You enjoy collaboration and thrive in cross-functional teams.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In this role, you will…
- Lead golf-ball product design by researching multiple areas, which may include, but are not limited to ball performance, fundamental understanding, materials, ball construction, aerodynamics, new equipment development, and consumer engagement
- Study structure-property-processing relationships by fabricating, testing, and analyzing new golf-ball formulations using R&D prototyping equipment
- Participate, as a technical liaison to prototyping and testing teams, in the characterization, optimization and troubleshooting of golf-ball fabrication process, which may include, but is not limited to rubber mixing, compression molding, injection molding, surface prep, and paint application
- Provide technical input and guidance in the development and implementation of new testing techniques and the selection of vendors for research projects
- Seek and evaluate concepts and technologies outside our industry, for application to golf ball designs and fabrication
- Employ sound scientific and engineering principles to define product specifications for manufacturing, perform advanced problem-solving, and implement new process improvements
- Create and provide project timelines, status updates, and technical-summary reports, as required
- Document our processes (SOP, etc.) and provide support to product engineering teams working towards the creation of new golf-ball products
EDUCATION AND REQUIREMENTS
- BS in engineering, materials, statistics, or relevant technical major or equivalent experience
- 5 plus years’ experience in sports product development; scale-up expertise desired
- Experience using the engineering design process to develop, and improve, product performance
- Experience using analysis or statistical tools required: Matlab, Minitab ideal, JMP a plus
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, plus attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in fast paced environment; ability to balance significant projects and issues.
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills.
- Excellent project management skills; self-motivated and takes initiative.
- Knowledge of golf, ball specific materials, performance and processes preferred
Callaway Golf is an Equal Opportunity Employer.